As you get started with runZero, it is helpful to start with our standard deployment plan and expand or adjust as needed. The plan is broken out into 6 stages which will help you plan out your requirements, execute the deployment, and optimize your environment based on runZero’s best practices.
The first step of any project is to make a plan, and onboarding runZero is no different. This first set of tasks will help your team identify target results, get ahead of potential blockers, and help you avoid misconfigurations.
- Determine your use cases
- Identify key organizational stakeholders
- Determine whether self-hosting is required (docs | video)
- Identify known networks for discovery and other inventory sources (docs | video)
- Define organizations based on RBAC requirements (docs | video)
- Determine Explorer and scanner deployment location(s)
Once you have a plan in place, it’s time to execute. The configuration tasks are in a prioritized order to help you avoid having to reconfigure things down the road.
- Deploy self-hosted console (if required) (docs | video)
- Setup organizations, sites, and subnets for discovery (video)
- Install Explorer(s) and scanner(s) (video)
- Configure SNMP credentials (video)
- Run initial scan (docs | video)
- Add users
Now that you have done some initial discovery, it’s time to review the results. We have some best practices to follow to help you identify key issues, expand scan scope, and better understand your network.
- Review dashboard (docs | video)
- Review the asset inventory (docs | video)
- Review the asset detail view (docs | video)
- Try the query library queries (docs | video)
- Identify gaps in scanning (docs | video)
- Understand network segmentation (docs | video)
After initial analysis, you will want to optimize your scans and configure external integrations to expand your asset inventory.
- Configure inbound integration connections
- Optimize scans by adjusting scan rates and other configurations (docs | video)
Now that you understand your runZero data, you can put some tasks on schedules to avoid manual effort. You can schedule scans, automate queries, and also generate alerting for the team.
As your runZero deployment comes to a close, you will want to ensure all users have followed the training and ensure anyone that would get value from runZero has access.
- Ensure all users are trained on runZero (training)
- Identify other teams interested in the asset inventory data